[bksvol-discuss] Re: deleted too many letters, help!!!!!!!

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:28:14 -0400

Dear bud,

Talk about that sinking feeling! Just a few fast keystrokes and the problem can saturate your book and you've lost your chance at a quick fix. It's hard to face starting over again. If part of your enjoyment is in reading the book as you work, it's not fun the second time around.

Everyone is welcome to stop reading here because, yes, I have my horror story, too. A very clean scan of a novel I was validating had several quirky consecutive instances of the word if at the beginning of sentences spelled with a small I and capital f. I put that in the find box and capital I f in the replace box and entered. After that all words with the letters i f appeared with capital I's in the middle. I never imagined just how many words had if in them, wife, signify, snowdrift, gift, stiff, bbailiff, capital I f when if was within sentences, nearly 800 replacements.

Like you, I'll be treating that find and replace with caution. Do you think the control z would work as well as closing the file without saving the changes to undo the replacements?

If you like Ruth Rendell, as I do, you might like to try another British author who has been compared with her, Minette Walters. I'm reading Acid Row on casette from NLS,. Bookshare has 4 more of her books, The Breaker, The Echo, The Sculptriss, and Fox Evil.

Always With Love,

Lissi

Give me the higher ground any day even if I have to climb uphill to meet it.
Bill the Pony, from The Tenth Walker by Lyndellia, Tolkien Fan Fiction
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bud Schwab" <budschwab@xxxxxxxxxxx>