[bksvol-discuss] Re: definition of "old books" and comments

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:24:29 -0400

Elizabeth, I see your points and agree with you. I guess I've been guilty of your first example a few because I'd get halfway through a book and couldn't seem to get the errors worked out. Yet the text is mostly legible, and I started thinking that someone else might be able to work them out. Now that I have some experience under my belt, I think I'd just reject these books because a person with a scanner could rescan the book several times faster than a validater could fix everything. During my first six months here, I didn't feel qualified to reject books unless they had pages missing or weren't legible at all.

One such book, in specific, The J.A.P. Chronicles has issues of stray random characters appearing in the middle of sentences. If I enjoyed the plot, combing it wouldn't be so bad. It isn't the kind of book that appeals to me, and the basic routine validation won't really fix this book. It's in Openbook format.

Monica Willyard