[bksvol-discuss] Re: dashes

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 04:22:53 -0700 (PDT)

I want to say an en dash is what you use to make sure that the end of the line
doesn't have a hyphen like with word wrapping that word processing software can
do now (as opposed to when you typed everything on a typewriter and had to
place things out just so according to the letter or article writing rules of
the day. It would keep the two parts together like if it was a hyphenated name
the dash would not be used to wrap. It would force the software to keep it
together. But it's still pretty early in the morning for me and I'm not
absolutely positive that's what the en dash is for.

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - Loyalty in Death - J.D. Robb
$10 Off Any Purchase at 39DollarGlasses! (discount applied at checkout)