[bksvol-discuss] Re: curious - and Cherry Ames

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 01:46:58 -0500

Good Heavens, Roger, you were stereotyping back in high school! grin. (yes, I'm teasing you again, and I really am teasing, so please don't take any offense!)

If I recall your age correctly, you're a bit younger than me? The Cherry Ames books were probably considered "too outdated" for your high school's collection, so I doubt that any of your female classmates were toting them around. It might have been some other series? The Cherry Ames books are from right after WWII, with the series ending around the mid '60s, as I recall. My high school and public library didn't have a one.

Cherry Ames books, btw, aren't about a standard cookie-cutter second-class to all doctors "nurse," as nurses are often portrayed in soaps and the like. She's portrayed as an intelligent resourceful single woman who has a satisfying career and has a nimble mind that she devotes to nursing and to solving mysteries on the side.

Judy s.

Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx wrote:
Those of you who are fans of nurse books please don't take offense at this. I am only talking about a vague impression I had in the past that was not based on much in the way of facts. When I was in high school I did notice that a number of people were reading nurse books. I had no reason to be interested in those books myself, but I noticed that virtually every person who I saw carrying them around were those who I would have classified as the airhead caucus of the female student body, so I came to think of nurse books as airhead books. After leaving high school I never gave that impression a thought again and, indeed, I never gave nurse books a thought again because I don't think I ever saw one again. That is, I never gave them a thought again until the subject came up here. Now I wonder if the nurse books you folks are talking about are the same ones I saw when I was in high school.