[bksvol-discuss] Re: credit for validating

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 06:40:43 -0500 (EST)

Allison

I think you pretty much express the feelings of the average BookShare
volunteer.  While the credits are nice and appreciated, that, in and of
itself, is not why folks volunteer.

BookShare appears to be getting plenty of scanned books.  It seems,
however, looking at the step 1 page, a lot of those books get stuck there.
Perhaps all of us, from time to time, need to make a conscious effort to
grab more of those even if a particular book isn't our particular cup of
tea.
While ideally one would want to make a fair book an excellent one, as
Jesse noted this past summer, that isn't a validation necessity.
A fair book, for the moment at least, is better than no book at all; and a
fair book can always be replaced by a better scanned one down the road.
And, from my experience, a lot of the so-called orphaned books in the step
1 pool are of good or excellent quality but just don't happen to get
claimed for whatever reason.