[bksvol-discuss] Re: copyright validation

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:48:24 -0500

Grrr. I am so sick of copyright questions. I am also sick of not finding entries for the books I submit in the U.S. Copyright Office records. The records are woefully incomplete.

This is what I did find, and it sure convinces me, but I don't know how best to convey the information to Gustavo. The book Lord of the Silent only shows a copyright record for the recorded addition, but that proves that a book with that title was written by Elizabeth Peters in 2001. The copyright is different from what is in the printed book, though, which is perfectly normal. In order to prove that MPM Manor, Inc. is a copyright holder of many of her books I looked for records with MPM Manor, Inc. as the claimant. I found ten records. The names listed for authors of those books seemed all to be pseudonyms of the same author and Elizabeth Peters is one of the names she uses. I think that combined with the fact that the same copyright information appears on the submit form and in the book itself should be enough to get it accepted.

Go ahead and copy my message into the comment field if you think it will help.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity