[bksvol-discuss] Re: copyright validation

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:55:40 -0500

Certainly it helps Gustavo if you mention that the copyright's been verified
in the comments field of the form.

I do that every time I submit or validate a book.  I also tell him if I
verified it through the U.S. Copyright Office's website.  Or if it's not
there, and I have the book because I'm the submitter, I let him know that my
wife verified it by referring to the book.  Mentioning the method you used
to verify the copyright in your comments adds credibility to your statement
and provides Gustavo an easy way to verify it for himself if you found the
confirmation through the internet.

Simply stating that you've verified the copyright may not make much
difference since Gustavo needs to have some confidence that you know what
you're doing.  For example, several volunteers have talked about getting to
know volunteer's strengths and weaknesses based on their familiarity with a
given volunteer's work.  Gustavo, of course, becomes familiar with different
volunteer's work over a period of time as well, and he's less likely to have
confidence in what you say in your comments if you don't give details, if
you do a sloppy job in other aspects of the submitting or validating, or if
you've gotten the copyright information wrong in the past.  That's possibly
why some volunteers have their copyright information questioned even when
it's right.  Gustavo is either not familiar with their work, or, in some
cases, is all too familiar with it.

Remember, too, that Bookshare has a legal responsibility by the Chafee
amendment to the copyright law to include the copyright holder and copyright
date in all books they distribute.  So Gustavo has a responsibility to make
sure that information is accurate when he approves a book for the
collection.  Bookshare's commitment to make sure the information is accurate
is one thing that keeps Bookshare in good standing with publishers.  And, if
you don't believe the publishers have an interest in Bookshare, read the
information on Bookshare's website about why distributing books over the
internet is legal.  It mentions that the publishers helped sponser the
Chafee amendment when the amendment was proposed to Congress.

Gerald