[bksvol-discuss] Re: contacting authors

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 15:40:19 -0500

Bookshare expressly asks us not to contact authors or publishers about getting books into the collection. Bookshare has its own publisher liaison who handles those kind of matters. The publisher liaison has also told us that it is pretty much pointless to try to get specific books donated, but it might be possible to get the publisher to donate those titles along with any other titles they might supply.

On 2/25/2012 2:50 PM, James wrote:

Hi everyone,

My names is James Koneachne.

I'm a new bookshare volunteer and a Braille reading and writing instructor at a blindness training center in Maryland.

I'm writing with a question I hope some of you can help me with.

I've recently read "Cracking the Hidden Job Market" by Donald Asher.

Its a great book for job seekers and I'd highly recommend it.

Anyway, I'd like to contact Donald to get a copy of his other books for the bookshare collection.

Has anyone had success contacting authors before?

If so, can you offer tips?

What types of book formats do you need the files to be in if the author is willing to donate them?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Have a great weekend.

Sincerely,

James K