[bksvol-discuss] Re: confusion about flaps and book jackets

  • From: "Eric Troup" <yakkoman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 18:12:10 -0800

It's a hardcover thing. More specifically, a hardcover with a dust jacket. The piece of the jacket that folds around the cover is called the flap. So, the piece folded around the front cover is called the fron flap, and when you open the book, the beginning of the book jacket info is printed on the front flap. It usually continues on the back flap. So you close the book, turn it over, open the back cover and voila, there's the remainder of the book jacket info, printed on the back flap.

Hope this helps.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Meka" <mekawh@xxxxxxxxx>