[bksvol-discuss] Re: clarifying blank lines after the page break

  • From: Allison Hilliker <AllisonH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 20:12:10 +0000

Hi Netta,

You got several replies to this message, but some of them seemed a little
confusing so I wanted to respond and try to sum up the answers to your
questions.

The best way to solve the blank lines and page break quandary is to do a find
and replace. I do this with control h, but you can pick whichever method is
your favorite. In the find box put ^m and in the replace box put ^p^m^p and
then replace all. That should clear up the page break and blank line issue.

There is no consensus on or Benetech rule about whether or not there needs to
be a blank line between a page number and the page text. The text does need to
be on its own line separate from the line with the page number on it, but you
don't necessarily need an extra blank line between the page number line and the
text. Many proofers prefer to include this blank line, and everyone's opinion
is different, but there is no actual rule about it so
I recommend you do what works best for you.

I've been doing Bookshare proofreading for a long time and My pages tend to
look something like this...

Page break
Blank line
Page number
Text
Blank line
Page break.

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to write more if you have other questions.

Thanks again for all your proofing work!

Allison Hilliker
Bookshare Collection Development Associate