[bksvol-discuss] Re: chopping books

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 15:00:16 -0700

Roger,

Your aversion is shared by everyone here at Bookshare. It is a bit of  trial by
fire that new volunteers and staff go through here when they "kill" their first
book.

The machine used to despine books is basically a guillotine powered by an
electric motor to press the blade down through thick books. The one at
Bookshare is about 3 feet wide by 4 feet deep and has legs that have it
standing about three feet off the floor.

Places like Kinkos may have such a machine. We have never needed to check.

Scott