[bksvol-discuss] Re: chopping books

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 00:09:24 -0700

The first book I despined for scanning was a paperback that was already coming apart, so I just pealed apart a chunk of pages, then peeled apart the individual pages from each chunk. Sometimes I had to peel glue from the edges of pages. Getting past that stage to actually cutting spines off intact books took a little longer. Now, I use a metal ruler as a straight edge and cut the pages away with a utility knife (a razor blade with a handle for those who don't know what it is). Depending on the page thickness and how sharp the current blade is, I get between 6 and 16 pages at a time. Mostly I chop paperbacks because they are not only easier to handle, they are not really expected to last as long as hardcover. The thing is, even after cutting them apart, I can't put the books in the recycling bin. So now I have boxes of cut apart books in addition to shelves of intact books.

Misha

On 7/15/2011 3:00 PM, Scott Rains wrote:
Roger,

Your aversion is shared by everyone here at Bookshare. It is a bit of  trial by fire that
new volunteers and staff go through here when they "kill" their first book.

The machine used to despine books is basically a guillotine powered by an
electric motor to press the blade down through thick books. The one at
Bookshare is about 3 feet wide by 4 feet deep and has legs that have it
standing about three feet off the floor.

Places like Kinkos may have such a machine. We have never needed to check.

Scott