[bksvol-discuss] Re: checking for scannos

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 21:34:38 -0500

I first do rank spelling. Then I do a search for "of die" "in die" and "with die". If none show up the likelihood is the issue is not present in a particular book. I also might search fir diem and diese but rank spelling would have found those for me. The thing is, using it makes it possible for a validator to quickly spot patterns and then perhaps selectively use find and replace. But context is so important that noticing the pattern helps fix things in batches.

Do folks think this is a good edition for tips list?

We can name it "the die strategy".

E.
At 09:03 PM 11/9/2006, you wrote:
Good ideas. And I know you've recommended the phrase
way before; I wish I'd remembered that before.

So do you recommend checking for certain
known-to-occur errors after using the Kurzweill
checking rather than reading? It probably saves a lot
of time and would, I suspect, result in books with an
Excellent rating. I wonder if I could bring myself to
do that, i.e. spell-check and then look for common
errors rather than read the book, or if I'm too
compulsive in this area (I'm certainly not in
houscleaning,smile) Of course, there's still the
problem of eliminating end-of-line returns in scans
that have them; I might as well read as I go along and
do that.

Thinking, Cindy

--- Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>