[bksvol-discuss] Re: chapters and numbers

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:04:13 -0400

I don't think that would count as text. There is text, the ongoing narrative of the writing, and there are other things such as headers, headings, divisions, indices and so forth. Chapter headings are just that, headings. What comes below the heading and is divided into paragraphs and sentences is the text of the book.

On 7/15/2012 7:57 AM, Ali Al-hajamy wrote:
Wouldn't that be considered changeing the text of the book, which is generally frowned on, because the number without the word "chapter" is how it appears in the original text? Or doesn't that matter with something as small as chapter numbers and their prefixes. If it doesn't, feel free to insert the word "Chapter". Also, I've never had a PacMate and am not sure how its search function works, but if it's capable of searching for queries with spaces in the beginnings, if you know the book is divided into chapters which use Arabic rather than Roman Numerals, you can try searching for four or five spaces, followed by a number sign. In the BRF files, a boulded passage (chapter number, title of a short story, ETC) shows up as about fifteen spaces followed by the boulded text, I'm guessing to mimic the way a Braille book is formatted in case someone wants to emboss it, so searching for four or five spaces followed by 2 would filter out any existance of the number two in the text, and get you straight to the boulded chapter number.

I add the word chapter as well. In BRF files, at least, the arabic numbers are confusing for navigation. If I put a 2, for example in the find field, I get all the instances of any numbers with a 2 in them, even if the chapter number is bolded. But if I can search for Chapter 2, my PacMate takes me right to it. Just some feedback.
Sue S.