[bksvol-discuss] Re: censorship, was November New York Times bestsellers

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:48:22 -0500

Hi all,

Chris, I don't think you need worry about Bookshare scrubbing the scanning of a best seller. It is, of course, Carrie's decision as to which books she does in which order, and I believe that Lisa, who has control of these things, would respect any aversion Carrie has toward any particular author. However, we had quite a long discussion in the beginning of October about book banning and so on, and it was made abundantly clear to me and to others, that Bookshare's policy is to allow and to promote all material to be scanned within reason.

I don't read Anne Coulter so I have no idea what Carrie's objections are, but many of the list of so-called banned books are in the Bookshare collection. So, I don't think you need worry. If Carrie will not scan a given book, I'm sure somebody else will. We do however, want to respect both our employees and our volunteers who scan for us. That way we'll all work together to accomplish this wonderful thing we're doing here.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring