[bksvol-discuss] Re: categories

  • From: "john.falter" <john.falter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 10:28:46 -0400

Is someone going to recategorize 300,000 books?

On 7/7/2015 6:48 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:

Hi all,

I'm no librarian, but if I were to google the LOC numbers for fantasy and for Science Fiction, they would be separate numbers. The same would be true of the Dewey Decimal system. If Bookshare wants to be known as an online library, then it should follow library conventions! We have over 300,000 books now. We aren't just a small project run by a visionary. We're a library, a real, honest to goodness library! We better start acting like it, don't you think? If the Marakesh treaty goes through, then we'll have people from all over the world searching our library for books. Having Science Fiction and Fantasy lumped together is an embarrassment! It's a left-over from ten years ago. Let's fix it, eh?

Ann P.

---