[bksvol-discuss] Re: categories

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 20:24:21 -0400

That's what I keep saying. If you take any two genres, or even multiple genres, you can find books that straddle the line, but if there is any meaning to the word genre at all then there must be differences between them and science fiction and fantasy are the two most unrelated genres of all. I clearly remember that we were told that when the new category structure would be implemented science fiction and fantasy would be split. Yet, the new category structure has now been implemented and science fiction and fantasy are still lumped together. I really hate to categorize a science fiction book as fantasy, but if I am to categorize it as science fiction I have to. That grates on my nerves, to say the least.

On 7/6/2015 6:53 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:

Hi all,

I just sent up a book for approval, after proofing. I happened to notice the new categories. We still have Science Fiction and Fantasy as one category. they aren't! Granted, there are some books that straddle the line between the two, but to put Isaac Asimov in the same bin with J.R.R. Tolkien is a bit much. Any way to make a separation between these two?

Ann P.