[bksvol-discuss] Re: calling right back

  • From: "Sandi Ryan" <sjryan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 11:48:32 -0500

Hi Madeleine,

I had to sign off while you were gone.  Thanks for having the call.

It seems to me that the images could be handled by doing what Ann said: On the page where people can submit a proof, check out or reject, add a link to "Submit for Image Proofing." That would involve a new page for picking up those books, but in the long run, it would make more books available to volunteers for proofing.

If Bookshare determines my capability to scan or proof a book based on blindness, I think you perceive limitations that are not necessarily there. Volunteers need more say in what we are willing to do. I cannot do justice to images as a totally blind person, but I am a scientist, so I know many of the big words and can handle most things. I'd be glad to proof science books for content, then pass them off to someone else for image descriptions. Blind people come in all sizes and shapes, and along a spectrum of knowledge and abilities, and it seems to me you could use some help with preparing textbooks that you don't ask for because it's been determined that we can't do those.

Anyway, just a thought. For the record, I'm not upset, but it has seemed to me from the beginning that Bookshare staff does not communicate well with volunteers on a more personal level to learn our interests, knowledge, limitations (not blindness, for example, but equipment, software, etc.) so we could be included in the important work of the organization. I like reading fiction, and putting any book into accessible format is important--but if I could do some textbooks, I'd feel even more useful!

Sandi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Madeleine Linares" <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>