[bksvol-discuss] Re: bso comments

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 01:34:59 -0800 (PST)

I think one has to do both. I read the books I
validated and then when I'm finished with the
validation I do a spell check, equivalent, in that it
catches misspelled words, to K's rank spelling. But if
one just uses the ranks spelling, words that are
spelled correctly but are not correct in the context
will be missed, e.g., die for the, the numeral one for
capital I, en for end, an for and, and so on.

Cindy

--- "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am validating a book submitted by somebody in kes
> format. The
> person says he/she read through every page and
> corrected the book
> word by word.
>
> I have a couple of suggestions. First, since the
> book was submitted
> in kes format, I know you use Kurzweil. Rather than
> "correcting by
> reading word by word" please use rank spelling. For
> one thing, rank
> spelling will catch things you will be unable to
> catch easily using
> speech or sometimes even by using braille or a large
> print display. I
> used rank spelling on your submit. It caught the
> following kinds of errors.
>
> 1. words with - and space in the middle such as mid-
> dle.
>
> 2. run together words such as
> Thesewordsareruntogether.
> words split between pages by a hyphen.
>
> If you are going to submit a bso please
> substantially improve the
> submit compared with the original submit. I am
> working on this
> particular book because it is one of my longtime
> favorites.
>
> But really rank spelling is your friend. Truly a
> useful feature.
>
> E.

AT
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm