[bksvol-discuss] Re: braille contractions

  • From: Jill O'Connell <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:33:32 -0700

Pam, I checked out your suggestion about their possibly being two spaces but
that wasn't the case, so I guess it's just one of those quirky things. As I
understand it, the main idea about the new UEBC was that there would be a
separate sign  for each letter or symbol. Therefore, this made some changes
in literary braille necessary such as the contraction for "to" since it
could be confused with the letter 6. The problems thus created made writing
in mathematics and chemistry much more lengthy; this was the main reason for
the opposition. It probably would be easier to write a translation program
but the general opinion was that the braille reader would in no way benefit.
This is perhaps an over simplification but that's why we wouldn't have
changes in the literary braille code  without changes in math and chemistry
notation as well. Looking at the samples published by BANA is very
revealing.