[bksvol-discuss] Re: braille code help anyone? Mickey?

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:30:41 -0700

I can make these on my Pac Mate, but those keyboard combos are not going to apply to a computer keyboard, or probably not to whatever other Braille display you are using; unless it is a Braille Lite or some other Freedom Scientific product, perhaps, perhaps. Also, my version of JAWS's insert-4 menu will create some of these, but not circumflex.

Also, if you are talking about Tolkien - I presume so - you will also need the dieresis, which my insert-4 menu does not list, and something called a 'macron'. Additionally, there are a few names containing l's with a dot under the l. But wait, there's even more! There are some words in Old English containing letters that don't look anything like the letters in the modern alphabet. We will have to figure out how to represent those.

If the only linguist I know gets back to me, I am hoping to ask her about the Old English words.

You have to ask yourself, however, if the effort of putting all these in, given that OB at least doesn't recognize any of them, (does K1000 recognize diacritical marks?) is worth the gain; since, given that the Bookshare software cannot handle characters such as open and close quotes, ellipses and others, whether some of these marks will even show up in the published work that others will download. I imagine some will, but I would bet that some will not.

For example, there are some Old English words in Book of Lost Tales Part One containing what I believe is what JAWS calls 'the ae dipthong'. It is a symbol that looks like an a on the left sharing a line with an e on the right. I can insert this symbol, but since I have no idea what the Bookshare software will make of it, and I want to be safe and make sure the text is readable, I have elected to write out the letters a and e instead.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>