[bksvol-discuss] Re: braille code help anyone? Mickey?

  • From: "Bobbie Hughes" <hughebo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:48:43 -0400 (EDT)

> Dear braille readers,
>
> All my life I've read braille but slipped over accents. Now I need to know
> the code for letters with different accents. By comparing my braille book
> with print, I concluded the acute was dot four before a letter. When I
> found
> a dot four before the letter e in another word, it was an e umlaut in
> print,
> but from the braille I'd have assumed it was an e acute. I'll be needing
> the
> circumflex, too and maybe some others. Does anyone know these braille
> symbols or a site where I can look them up on the net?
> For clarification I'm talking about English braille. I would probably
> recognize the braille accents in French, from my junior and senior high
> school days forever ago, but these aren't the same as the symbols used in
> French language.
>
> Never ending questions...curiously anticipating the answer.
>
> Thanks,

Lissi,

Taken from Rule V-2-c of English Braille American Edition:

"This sign (dot 4) is used in English texts before all letters which in
print are marked with an accent or other marking..."

So, sadly, if the text is mostly in English braille, distinguishing acute
from umlaut... from circumflex will be up to your own knowledge and/or
guessing skills.  I have my masters in Spanish, and am obsessed with
languages, so knowing this really drives me crazy, but nothing is perfect
I guess.

Hope this helps... somewhat.

In peace,
Bobbie