[bksvol-discuss] Re: brackets

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:37:52 -0500

Brackets are sometimes also used to delimit translated passages,  or
standard measurements converted to differing systems of measurement.  For
example,  in older novels by Clive Cussler distances, speed, weights,
volume etc. . . are often rendered both in Imperial and Metric values
side-by-side,  with the metric value in brackets.  E.G.

1 mile [1.6Km]

Newer Cussler novels have dispensed with the niceties.  In fact,  in one
of   his latest novels, Black Wind,  the authors refers to the speed of a
submarine as '18 Knots per hour',  which is absolute nonsense, as a knot
is a unit of speed itself defined as 1 marine [or knotical] mile per hour.

Guido

Guido

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
Research Division,
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
04/05/2005 11:09 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: brackets

I've also seen them used in place of quotation marks when denoting part of

a conversation.

Dave