[bksvol-discuss] Re: boot camp for christians

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 16:07:20 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I guess I should have read one more post before
echoing Tracy. I did write to Gustavo asking about a
situation in which the contents of the book came
totally from two prior copyrighted works with
different copyright dates. I had no idea what to put
there, and he told me the latest, even though it was a
copyright of only half the book.

Mike, or whoever decides to try again, I'd just ask
Gustavo directly when he gets back, what to do or
where to look. I think it was Gustavo, or maybe even
you, Mike, who explained that a copyright does not
have to be registered with the LC to be valid. Or did
I misunderstand? If it's claimed by the author, that's
it.

Cindy

--- Jake Brownell <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey Tracy,
>     Gustavo has kicked the book back to the
> validation page with requests
> for verification of copyright four times now. This
> does seem to suggest that
> the information needs to be verifiable somewhere
> else.
>     For instance, I actually validated something
> (surprise!) a while back
> and had it sent back to the validation page for
> copyright verification. I
> was unable to find the information on the Library of
> Congress website, but I
> did find a sample chapter of the book on the
> publisher's website. That page
> also had the same copyright information as the book
> and so I reuploaded the
> book referencing the site and Gustavo approved it.
>     On the other hand, I validated a book a while
> back and Gustavo sent that
> one back too (notice a pattern, I must be jinxed),
> but I never did find the
> necessary info and so I allowed the book to make
> it's way back to step one.
> Quite a shame too, the scan was excellent, but I had
> read it and made a few
> corrections.
>
>     Since we generally scan books and we know the
> problems OCR can have, it
> might be a BookShare policy to have a second place
> to make sure copyright
> info is correct. I for one am glad that BookShare is
> actively attempting to
> make sure it follows the law...after all we all want
> it to stick around
> *grin*
>
> HTH,
> Jake

Sell on Yahoo! Auctions ? no fees. Bid on great items.
http://auctions.yahoo.com/