[bksvol-discuss] Re: [bookshare-discuss] Horror Book Club Mid-Month Reminder

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 22:56:04 -0500

Dear Booksharian Friends,

I, who am a poor candidate for horror book clubs, have attended the last 2 Horror Book Group meetings because the discussions are so well run and the members' comments are interesting.

The first selection, Ghost Story by Peter Straub had remarkably good character development and was creepee. As I read, I kept thinking, "Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!!!"

This month's book, Strangers, by Dean Koontz is a book I read about 20 years ago shortly after it was first published and I still remember parts of it clearly, whereas, some books I've read are less than a mist in my memory. If it isn't an oxymoron to say Koontz is a compassionate, humane, horror writer, than that's what I'm saying. I mean, he's scary, but he doesn't feed his good guys willie nillie to the shredder.

I'm not giving too much away when I tell you that shortly into the book I've met 3 of the strangers and can't wait to reexperience the chemistry when they come together. A writer is sleepwalking and sleepwriting frightening things in his manuscripts. A lady doctor is going berserk when she sees ordinary things like black gloves and coming to herself, blocks away unable to understand what's happening. A poor war vet who runs a motel in the middle of nowhere has become afraid of the night. That's just for starters.

mainly I'm reading Christmas books from Bookshare, but I plan to have Strangers finished in time for the meeting on the 27th. Horror and Christmas cheer. Now that's a balanced diet.

I'm wondering if Scott is thinking about changing the meeting to daytime because it's easier for the members to scare themselves when they meet after dark!

Always with love,

Lissi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Blanks" <scottsjb@xxxxxxxxx>