[bksvol-discuss] Re: [bookshare-discuss] Banned Books Week

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: maithe007@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 08:20:30 -0400

Hi all,

Some of these books I've never heard of, but others I have. Of course they wouldn't want kids reading The Handmaid's Tale, after all, it postulates a society where the current fundamentalist views are taken to the extreme. <smiling mischieveously> They wouldn't want kids to read Fahrenheit 451 because that would definitely clash with their views.

I don't understand what's wrong with the life of Miss Jane Pitman. What's wrong with Huck Finn? What's wrong with Vonigott?

Frankly, I think that parents want to ban books so they won't have to work. They won't have to talk to their kids about what they're reading and what they are thinking. If they ban the books, the kids won't be able to ask questions which the ignorant idiots can't answer. They won't have to teach discrimination. They won't have to teach kids that although a book may be written about a given place or time period, it is often exaggerated or generalized in order to make a story. Oh, they won't have to work. They won't have to explain that The Da Vinci Code may have a premise that is untrue, but that it is a damned good read, and that there is a difference between truth and fiction, or that the idea that Jesus may have been married is something which is an interesting theory to be examined in light of the facts we have now. Now, I'm not saying the theory is true, I'm only saying that it is a theory Besides, if God were to come down to earth to become man, it is not inconceivable that he would experience married life. After all, it's part of the human condition. Again, I'm not saying the theory is true, it's just a theory. Far as I'm concerned Dan Brown writes good suspense. Whether you agree or disagree with the premise of the book, it's a damned fine story! Any author who can make you actually sit on the edge of your seat and cheer on the characters and prevent you from going to bed at a normal hour is, I feel, a good writer.

I won't even go into the Rowling contraversy. It isn't even worth the time it takes to type a sentence. If people ban books because of one or two things about it, that's rediculous.

the only problem with allowing parents to be lazy is that it will catch up with them some day. Yes, indeed someday their kids are either going to make a bad decision because they haven't been taught discrimination, or they are going to rebel and leave their repressive homes for good! Someplace it says, "Parents vex not your children..." Enough said!

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring