[bksvol-discuss] Re: bookshare and web braille

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Volunteer List <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 07:10:05 -0500 (EST)

Allison

Your points are well thought out; but I still have to agree totally with
Shelley for legal and ethical reasons.  The one point I want to adress is
your number 3.
The user base of BookShare and NLS are not necessarily one and the same.
Yes, BookShare, for the convenience of its customers, accepts
participation in the NLS program as a proof of disability.
However, you needn't be a NLS patron to take part in BookShare.
Also, if the NLS collection suddenly became a part of BookShare, this
might preclude BookShare, at some point down the line, to offer its
service internationally.
Also, some NLS patrons, now that I think of it, cannot use BookShare
services.
BookShare technically requires residency in the U.S. or its territories;
NLS provides service also to those living abroad who happen to be U.S.
citizens.
So the patron base isn't identical.