[bksvol-discuss] Re: books.google.com

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:34:19 -0600

Since the books on google books are scans, I would expect them to have some errors, as well. That said I have found it useful for some situations. When working with books with foreign languages, I find google's translate feature helpful. For other situations, a general google search is helpful, or, sometimes, using an online dictionary. It is certainly nice to have so many resources at our disposal.

Melissa

Deborah Murray wrote:
Unfortunately, many of the scans on books.google.com have errors. I discovered this while scanning the series of Irish mysteries I'm currently
working on.
Many of the Irish words and names have a fada, which looks like the French
acute accent mark. These are often misrecognized. For example, a letter "a"
with the fada will be recognized as a letter "d". I have found these same
errors in the books on books.google.com. When I get sighted help or use my
cctv I find that the word in question has an accented letter.

I have found that I often get better results by doing a general search on
google for the word or phrase in question.
Deborah