[bksvol-discuss] Re: books.google.com

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:13:17 -0500

Unfortunately, many of the scans on books.google.com have errors.
I discovered this while scanning the series of Irish mysteries I'm currently
working on.
Many of the Irish words and names have a fada, which looks like the French
acute accent mark. These are often misrecognized. For example, a letter "a"
with the fada will be recognized as a letter "d". I have found these same
errors in the books on books.google.com. When I get sighted help or use my
cctv I find that the word in question has an accented letter.

I have found that I often get better results by doing a general search on
google for the word or phrase in question.

Deborah