[bksvol-discuss] Re: books on esoteric or small audience subjects

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 00:37:05 -0600

Great observations, Monica!  smile.

I don't announce on the list either when I reject a book. I hate rejecting a book because someone may be waiting for it, but validation isn't supposed to be cleaning up someone else's mess.

Judy s.

Monica Willyard wrote:
Judy, way to go! Actually, it's happening with fiction too. I've had to
reject 4 books during the past month, and each one of them was obviously way
too messed up to salvage. One book started on chapter six, and another
wouldn't open at all. Each book had been taken by at least five different
volunteers. What's even more frustrating is that these weren't new
volunteers either.

Regarding Elizabeth's comments about harsh treatment, I don't announce on
the list when I reject a book. We used to have to do that because it took
Gustavo several months to process books in the rejection queue, and we had
no way to see that a book had been rejected. Now we can see the queue and
can easily tell that books have been rejected. The way I see it is that the
rejection of a messed-up scan is between the submitter, validater, Carrie,
and maybe Pavi. Anyone else commenting is doing the equivalent of armchair
quarterbacking since they haven't actually seen the file.

Monica Willyard