[bksvol-discuss] Re: books found on other services

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 00:01:12 -0800

The two books were by Olaf Stapledon, a British science fiction writer who
had a great influence on Arthur C. Clarke and Greg Bear among others. His
most well-known works were published in the 1930's. He is one of the few
authors whose name has become an adjective. Whenever a reviewer says that a
work is "Stapledonian", many SF readers will immediately know that that
means it is grand in scope and probably takes place in the far future and
involves characters - posthumans - people very different from the ones
around now. Some consider his writing to be rather dry, but few would
disagree that it is extremely imaginative.

The one that is available from NLS is Star Maker and the other book was Odd
John and Sirius - two separate novels, but published together in the edition
RFB&D had recorded. They did a pretty good job with both of those
recordings, too. It is sad to know that probably noone will hear them again.
I wish I had thought to check on them and order the tapes before it was too
late.

NLS also has Last and First Men and Last Men in London, two other books
published in one volume. I wonder if those, and their version of Star Maker,
will also be orphaned when they stop sending out cassettes.

Evan