[bksvol-discuss] Re: books I validated today

  • From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 09:48:41 -0800

I have to admit there have been a few books that I didn't read word for word
such as a couple of Jake's Hardy Boys series, but I did put them through all
of Kurzweil's built in aids and I knew I could rely on the quality of Jake's
work. It's great that others are interested in the type of material that
doesn't appeal to me such as science fiction. My reservation about most
textbooks is that often they are already dated and the college professors
are already requiring something else. This reminds me that very early on in
my validating career, I validated what to me was a very boring book. Gustavo
wanted to know if it was a textbook and my reaction was "how in the heck
would I know." So now I avoid such books because I want to know that I can
find a print copy if necessary, preferably from my library. I think it is a
good thing that we on this list have different approaches and I agree with
Monica that the quality has much improved since I started with Bookshare,
thanks I like to think partly because of this list.