[bksvol-discuss] Re: books Cindy has out

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 12:07:18 -0500

Cindy,

I agree with Jake.  Several months is way too long to be hanging on to a
book to decide whether or not to reject it or get around to fixing it.  A
book might be in the collection now if it was rejected and the submitter
cared enough about the book to rescan it once they got their rejection
notice.

Before you try to make an argument that the submitter would probably not
rescan the book, I do remember someone other than the submitter saying once
that they had Tammy Tell Me True and would rescan it as soon as they could
get a chance.  Of course, they haven't had that chance because you've been
sitting on the book for 7 and a half months.  I wonder how many of the other
books you have checked out might also have been in the collection if you
weren't keeping others from validating them or rescanning them because they
can see that they are out for validation.

I also think that if the books you are fixing up are taking so long that you
can't get around to fixing 15 of them in the first 6 months that you have
had them checked out, then the books you've been working on should have been
rejected because they are taking way too long to fix up.  Either that, or
you're guilty of the same thing that you want Gustavo to change, not
processing the books in a first in first out order.

Please go through your books and either reject or release all but the
handful which you are most interested in validating.  Yes, I know you just
offered to release any books that someone asks you to release, but you're
forgetting that most volunteers don't subscribe to the list, so they would
not be aware of the situation or your offer, and they should have a chance
to work on the books, too.

As Jake said, you do a lot for the volunteers, and I don't know what we
would do without you, but you can't save every poor submission.

Gerald