[bksvol-discuss] Re: bookbooks

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 00:28:23 -0600

Hi Judy!

That was an interesting story about going to those friend's house for Thanksgiving.

I have never had sight, and I have made fudge and caramels on the stove with success.

Debby

At 10:34 PM 11/22/2009, Judy s. wrote
You're welcome, Monica!

Little OT story: many years ago when we'd first moved to Wisconsin a co-worker invited us to share Thanksgiving dinner with his family, as he knew we didn't have enough time off to travel out of state to be with family.

His wife was completely blind, something I hadn't known before we arrived at their house. The Thanksgiving dinner she served for eight, including a huge turkey, all the fixings, desserts, snacks and everything else, was all made from scratch and it was all outstanding.

As a sighted person, I'd never given any thought to some of the obstacles encountered when cooking. It just blew me away as she showed me all the little tips and techniques she used to do everything. Over the years she gave me many fantastic recipes I've used often for all kinds of holiday goodies. She and her husband were always on the lookout for candy recipes that she could do all herself, using just a microwave, because, she explained, trying to make candy on a stove without vision was so dang hard. Fudge, peanut butter balls, english toffee, chocolate covered cherries, peanut brittle and more--I'm drooling just thinking about them! YUM!

Judy s.

Monica Willyard wrote:
Cindy, Judy, and Barbara have helped with proofreading some of our cookbooks, and I'm grateful to them as well. They help us make sure the fractions show up in Braille and that the text is easy to understand with speech as well. I feel blessed to have such dedicated volunteers on our team. (smile)

Monica Willyard