[bksvol-discuss] Re: book upload

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 10:29:06 -0400

Hi Ann,

Yes, I know that's how the thread got started, but from the sounds of things according to Marilyn's last post I believe she may be having another problem as well. My post was intended to help her figure out why she is getting an error message even when the correct file name has been manually entered into the edit field, not via the browse bar. I understand that other screen access programs can have difficulties with the browse bar, but that isn't a problem that is going to be solved here, and I can see why Freedom Scientific wouldn't want to make other screen access companies aware of how they handled it. After all Freedom Scientific is a company trying to sell their products, not help the competition sell their's.

Dave

Well, I ended up rejecting the book I was trying to upload. No matter how hard I tried to browse or write the correct path of the file it didn't work. I continually got a file not found message. This happen even when the correct file was in the edit field. I must have corrupted. If it is in step one I shall download it and fix the errors and send it back up. Next time with better results hopefully.

At 08:21 AM 3/29/2008, you wrote:
Hi Dave,

No, this is *not* the issue. <smiling> Now I'm beginning to sound like E., God bless her. The issue, for the hundredth time, is that the control which comprises the edit field and the browse button, is only truly visible to users of Jaws. If you use WE, you see this control as a double edit box. It does not show up at all in System Access. I realize that a good eighty percent of you use Jaws so the issue doesn't apply to you, but it is most definitely one that needs to be addressed. It is not, as I said in my former post, a bookshare issue. It is an issue with all sites of this kind that have this control. It is a general, pervasive, important issue concerning web accessibility!

As for file-names, I couldn't agree more! In fact, one of the things in the proposed Wiki should be a note about file naming conventions. Dave is right. A file name should contain no spaces, and no additional punctuation like apostrophes or whatever. One should use either dashes or underscores between the words of the file-name. Computers running operating systems other than Windows have a hard time with file-names that have spaces in them. Why aggravate yourselves? Get used to writing file-names properly all over your computer, and you won't have any more trouble.

Ann P.

E-mail message checked by Internet Security (5.5.0.212)
Database version: 5.09510
http://www.pctools.com/en/internet-security/