[bksvol-discuss] book submitted

  • From: "Amber Wallenstein" <amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 14:32:04 -0400

I just submitted Angelica by Arthur Phillips.
Following multiple pregnancies with dire outcomes, Angelica is finally born to
Joseph and Constance Barton, and after a rough beginning, mother and daughter
bond. When Angelica turns four, Joseph announces that it is time for the
child's bed to be moved to her own room. Alone with her husband, Constance fears
his amorous attentions; the doctors have warned her that another pregnancy
would be lethal. Constance notices apparitions in Angelica's bedroom while her
daughter sleeps. Seeking guidance, she enlists a spiritualist, Anne Montague.
But Anne is more of a psychologist than a mystic, and her intuition tells
her that the ghosts are a manifestation of Constance's subconscious awareness
of Joseph's harmful intentions toward the child. In a Turn of the Screw-
like exercise, best-selling author Phillips expertly depicts the repressiveness
of the Victorian era, well attuned
as he is to the subtle and dramatic transformation of familial roles that occur
when a child is introduced into the family dynamic. Phillips re-tells the
same events from four perspectives revealing just enough information each time
to change the reader's allegiances.
Enjoy.
Amber
Book blog: