[bksvol-discuss] Re: book scanning woes

  • From: Julie & Miss Mercy <mercy421@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 01:07:20 -0500

The Emancipator's Wife by Barbara Hamley. It's a fictionalized account of the life of Mary Todd Lincoln and very good. This is actually the longest book I've scanned thus far so while it may seem like a hill of beans compared to some of the books others have scanned, it's an accomplishment for me. ,smile> someone reviewed the book on the book list I run, I was intrigued by it and couldn't find it on Bookshare or Web Braille, although it is on NLS Digital, which is where the person who reviewed it on my list got it, but because of my hearing impairment I don't do audio books. For those members of Bookshare like myself, they'll be able to read it soon.

Linda Stover wrote:
Julie,

What is the title of the book you proofed?  I'm a huge fan of fiction
dealing with the Civil War, and I want to make sure and watch for it.
Thanks, and I admire your dedication immensely,
Courtney

On 2/8/09, Julie & Miss Mercy <mercy421@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I definitely sympathize. I just finished editing a 600-plus page book,
no easy feat for me since I'm hearing impaired but have to use speech
since I don't have a braille display, and I had to put in a few cut-off
lines and missing words with the help of Katie Mihaly, another volunteer
here. I couldn't have done it without her because I'd already taken the
book back, and while the errors I had to deal with are nothing like what
you're dealing with, I can sympathize with what a bear those books can
be to scan then have to clean up. It's a comfort to me though to know
that anyone interested in historical fiction from the Civil War era will
get a lot of good reading out of it once it's in the collection though,
at least for me, and I'm sure once yours is done, you can say the same
too. i get a lot out of knowing that someone will have an easy read when
I'm done with a book, especially when it's a long one.

Julia wrote:
Hi, just thought I'd share my frustration with people who understand.
I'm almost done with a six hundred page tome by Barbara wood. I took
this book out through interlibrary loan, and just found out that it
was due back yesterday, and I don't see it anywhere in my loans list.
Then, when I go to read it, I switched from grayscale to dynamic
threshold halfway through in an attempt to preserve page numbers,
there were letters missing from the beginning of lines. This means
that I now have over three hundred pages to rescan! I guess I
should've stuck to grayscale, arg!
On top of that, the parts didn't scan at all, this means that there
are two blank pages, and then the text just continues with no warning
that you've now switched a good ten years forward!Just for the record,
the book is Green City in the Sun.  Julia