[bksvol-discuss] Re: book scanning woes

  • From: Julie & Miss Mercy <mercy421@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 00:56:23 -0500

I definitely sympathize. I just finished editing a 600-plus page book, no easy feat for me since I'm hearing impaired but have to use speech since I don't have a braille display, and I had to put in a few cut-off lines and missing words with the help of Katie Mihaly, another volunteer here. I couldn't have done it without her because I'd already taken the book back, and while the errors I had to deal with are nothing like what you're dealing with, I can sympathize with what a bear those books can be to scan then have to clean up. It's a comfort to me though to know that anyone interested in historical fiction from the Civil War era will get a lot of good reading out of it once it's in the collection though, at least for me, and I'm sure once yours is done, you can say the same too. i get a lot out of knowing that someone will have an easy read when I'm done with a book, especially when it's a long one.

Julia wrote:
Hi, just thought I'd share my frustration with people who understand. I'm almost done with a six hundred page tome by Barbara wood. I took this book out through interlibrary loan, and just found out that it was due back yesterday, and I don't see it anywhere in my loans list. Then, when I go to read it, I switched from grayscale to dynamic threshold halfway through in an attempt to preserve page numbers, there were letters missing from the beginning of lines. This means that I now have over three hundred pages to rescan! I guess I should've stuck to grayscale, arg! On top of that, the parts didn't scan at all, this means that there are two blank pages, and then the text just continues with no warning that you've now switched a good ten years forward!Just for the record, the book is Green City in the Sun. Julia