[bksvol-discuss] Re: book requests

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:53:53 -0600

I agree with your general sentaments Jill, but not in this instance.

If this book is rated fair then we should make an effort to improve bookshare's service. Maybe it should be flagged as a bso book.

If nls has the book in Braille, then I agree there is no need for us to re-invent the wheel. However, if the book is only available in recorded format, then I think some of our patrons who might be deaf/blind could get the benefit of our reproducing the book.

I especially disagree with scanning and validating books that are in the public domain--unless they aren't available elsewhere. Gutenberg has done an excellent job of making uncopyrighted books available, so why should we waste our time and effort doing the same thing.

Now, I'll crawl back into my cave and take off my Golem mask.

Bob

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>