[bksvol-discuss] Re: book requests

  • From: Shayla Key Parker <shaylakey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:10:22 -0400

Actually, I'd really like scans, if you're willing. NLS is great, but it can be incredibly inconvenient for those of us who read almost exclusively with the Bookport on our feet during the commute etc. because they are *still* using cassette tapes. (I'm thrilled to see their digitalizing initiative is actually slowly coming to pass, because good grief!)
Thanks,
Shayla

At 10:00 PM 9/13/2006, you wrote:

Hi Shayla,

If it matters, the last three books that you listed are available on cassette from NLS. I personally try not to duplicate books that NLS already has as anyone eligible for BookShare is also eligible to receive books through NLS. Let me know if you really want me to scan those anyway. If it's really important to you or to anyone else, I'd be happy to scan those books. Otherwise, I'd rather grow the collection with books not available to patrons anywhere else.

Peace,
Mayrie

At 05:15 PM 9/13/2006, you wrote:
Hi all,

On a friend's recommendation, I've been reading the Kate Shugak mystery series by Dana Stabenow, ten of which we have on Bookshare (the first is A Cold Day for Murder). The books are about -- well, I'll let the author's website explain it.

"Kate Shugak is an Aleut who lives on a 160-acre homestead in a generic national Park in Alaska. Her roommate is a half-wolf, half-husky dog named Mutt.
Her nearest neighbors are a bull moose and a grizzly sow. Farther off are dog mushers, miners, hunters, trappers, fishermen, bush pilots, pipeline workers,
Park rats and Park rangers, other Aleuts, Athabascans, a few Tlingits and the residents of Niniltna, a village perched on the edge of the Kanuyaq River,
a 600-mile long, salmon-rich tributary that winds through the Park to Prince William Sound."

Oh, and she also solves crime.

Anyway, like I said, Bookshare has ten of these books, which means we're missing four. They are:

3. Dead in the Water
8. Killing Grounds
11. The Singing of the Dead
12. A Fine and Bitter Snow

If anyone has access to these books and is willing to scan them, I'd really appreciate it -- they're fun but sober, clever but sweet, and I'm really enjoying them.

Shayla