[bksvol-discuss] book request

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 03:19:33 -0500

Hi all,
I heard a really interesting segment on public radio yesterday (Wednesday)
morning. The guest was Anatoly Liberman, a professor of German, Scandinavian,
and Dutch linguistics. He has recently written a book that sounds fun and
interesting. It's called "Word Origins and How We Know Them: Etymology for
Everyone."

When asked why etymology should be of interest to people, he said that by
studying etymology we study how thought works. I love this idea because I love
linguistics and it can tell us a lot about how people and cultures think.
Anyway, if anyone sees this book, I'd love to have it on Bookshare.
Thanks,
Kellie