[bksvol-discuss] Re: book request

  • From: Kelly Pierce <kkellyp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:25:07 -0600

Learning about the efforts of Nichole Maples motivated me to do better
and seek greater leverage in my work with Bookshare.  As many know,
Nichole uses a wheelchair, cannot talk out loud, and has limited use
of her hands. Despite these and other barriers, her aspiration for an
accessible world for print-disabled people led her to travel to New
Orleans from her Mississippi home to ask publishers to partner with
Bookshare for greater accessibility.  Her leadership and vision led me
to adopt my publisher/author contact policy. If Nichole and Valerie
can go to New Orleans to ask publishers and authors, then we certainly
can write and ask from our keyboards in our own homes.

To clarify, the initial letter to authors and publishers introduces
myself as a blind person wanting access to a particular book.  I
explain how scanning and proofing is time consuming and tedious and
introduce Bookshare as a solution to the accessibility problem.  I
also explain how commercial e-books  systems, like the Kindle, offer
limited to meaningless accessibility. I describe what Bookshare is and
what it does and provide the e-mail address and telephone number for
robin.  Any response received is forwarded to robin as well.  As
Valerie said, robin has experience in the publishing world and can
answer all the questions regarding copyright and protection of
intellectual property.  Robin expertly represents Bookshare and its
impact upon the lives of people with disabilities.

Yet, while robin can smartly represent Bookshare, she cannot represent
me. Like Nichole Maples, I am a real live person with a disability who
faces artificial accessibility barriers that can be solved with a
signature and a Bookshare partnership. Many businesses report that
they never hear from people with disabilities about the access
barriers faced. I and others can certainly speak about our needs and
what is possible.

Kelly