[bksvol-discuss] book repair

  • From: socly@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 03:30:51 -0500

Shelley,

I don?t know how to do those plastic covers the libraries are using now, but,
depending the size of the
city you?re in (I forget where you are now) there might be a book preservation
place that could fix the
cover for you. If not in your city, you might want to wait until you go to your
next one.

As to putting in the pages ? what we used to call "tipping"? when I was in
library school and then worked
in a library, it?s difficult ifyou?re dealing with only one page, especially a
paperback page, but if you have
several together, you can very carefully but the glue on the page edge that
goes into the binding; then,
with the book open to the right place, set the pages with the glued edge into
the binding, close the book,
hold it together (with rubber bands, maybe, if it?s a paperback, or with other
books on top of it) carefully
and for a day or more until the glue dries. I can?t remember, however, if there
is a special glue ? I don?t
think so, but you might ask your librarian.

Cindy

P.S. If you let me know the title of the book you're trying to find out about,
I'll do some research and see if
I can find when it was published in paperback. I've gotten information like
that from Amazonand also
from the Library of Congress online catalog. Also, from puttng the title into
google and getting info from
some used book stores.