[bksvol-discuss] Re: book bumped back to step one

  • From: "Claire O'Brien" <ClaireO@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Grandma Cindy" <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>, <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:28:21 -0700

Hi guys:
Normally I don't bump the book back to step 1 for an issue with the metadata
(author, copyright, etc.) I usually just fix it up myself for efficiency sake.

There are 2 main reasons books that have been recommended for approval get
bumped back:
1) The original submission had page breaks, but the validated copy does not. In
this situation I have to bump the original submission back so that the scan
will have page breaks.
2) Easily correctable scanning errors. When I open the file and see many
scanning errors that a spell check could correct, I often send it back for some
more attention. I usually put a note in the comments saying something like:
"Could benefit from a spell check."

I rarely send books that have been recommended for rejection back to Step 1,
but it does happen.
I carefully evaluate the reasons the validator has used to determine the book
should be rejected, then I verify these. If I come to the same conclusion as
the validator (which is most of the time) the book is rejected. If not, I
return the book to step 1, always with a comment.
Examples might be: The validator couldn't find a copyright, but when I check I
find it on page 3. The comment might read "Returned to Step 1, Copyright
verified to be on page 3."

Also: Cindy is correct, I have the option of returning the original submission
of the book, or with the validator's edits. Which one I send back, really
depends on the situation, but obviously I try to keep the validator's edits, if
I can.

Hope that helps!

Claire