[bksvol-discuss] book available to proof -- A People's History of Sports in the United States

  • From: Rik James <rixmix2009@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:13:57 -0600

Hello there bookshare volunteers,

I have a book I scanned & submitted on May 26th listed below.

It was checked out soon after submission and then let to linger and lapse by
earl, and then today I see it has returned to the check out list.
I never heard from him about it. my email is in the vol comment section.
if someone is interested in proofreading it I found it on the 4th page of
the check out list.

I am glad our new bookshare web page has a set up like this to follow up on
what has happened to a submission.
Thanks, and here below is the info on the book.

Rik James - RixMix2009@xxxxxxxxx

A People's History of Sports in the United States, by Howard Zinn
Contribution By and David Zirin
Brief Synopsis:
From author and sportswriter Zirin comes a rollicking, rebellious,
myth-busting history of sports in America that puts politics in the ring
with pop culture.

Long Synopsis:
To those who scoff at the idea that sports counts in the real world,
casually bring up Jackie Robinson, Babe Didrikson Zaharias and Kenichi
Zenimura, whose dedication to baseball created major-league-level play in
internment camps during World War II. Journalist Zirin gives due credit to
the unsung, pointing out the very close relationship between the idols and
lesser idols of sports and the city functionaries, mayors, governors,
legislators and presidents who courted them. The endorsement of a sports
hero was magic, of course, and the support of the politicos created venues,
stadiums and parks, but as Zirin points out, how sport has been played in
America and by whom (and watched by whom) are not-so-subtle inside looks
into the heart of America. Readers can opt for just enjoying the sports
stories; more likely, they will see how sport raised us up and let us down
as a people. Annotation ©2008 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com) A
People's History of Sports in the United States is replete with surprises
for seasoned sports fans, while anyone interested in history will be amazed
by the connections Zirin draws between politics and pop flies. As Jeff
Chang, author of Can't Stop Won't Stop, puts it, "After you read him, you'll
never see sports the same way again." Dave Zirin is the author of three
books, including What's My Name, Fool? and Welcome to the Terrordome. He
writes the popular weekly online sports column The Edge of Sports and is a
regular contributor to The Nation, SLAM, and the Los Angeles Times. He lives
in Takoma Park, Maryland.

Book Quality:
Excellent

Book Size:
307 Pages

ISBN-10:
N/A

ISBN-13:
9781595581006

Publisher:
New Press, The

Date of Addition:
N/A

Copyright Date:
2008

Copyrighted By:
Dave Zirin

Adult content:
Yes

Language:
English

Categories:
History, Nonfiction, Sports

Submitted By:
Richard James

Proofread By:
N/A

Reviews of A People's History of Sports in the United States (0 reviews)
0 - No Rating Yet

Related Searches
Other books by Howard Zinn Contribution By
Other books by David Zirin
Other books in History
Other books in Nonfiction
Other books in Sports