[bksvol-discuss] book approved and uploaded--now we wait grin

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 00:57:21 -0800 (PST)

I have approved and uploaded Reuben Snake, Your Humble
Serpent. It's an interesting autobiography of the
Native-American "activist, educator, and political and
spiritual" leader. It was well-scanned?no scannos. The
only problems were end-of-the line returns and no hard
page breaks. The autobiography itself was interesting
reading?the ups and downs of a Native American trying
to grow up and become a man and make a living in the
1940's and '50's, and the political and sociological
and freedom-of-religion problems the Indians faced in
latter half of the 20th century. Also, mention of
certain things, like Wounded Knee, and Leonard
Peltier, and the Indian Citizenship Act of 1924 led me
to do some research online and I've learned more about
those things. I'd heard about the first two but never
read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee and so didn't know
exactly what happened the first time or about the
second stand-off. One learns, too, the philosophy
behind the life and spirituality of the Indians.
     Reading this reminded me of scenes from Hanta Yo,
which is a wonderfully readable and well-written, if
long, book that tells the story of the Lakotah/Dakotah
Indians from 1794 through 1835, told via the lives of
individuals. I heartily recommend it.