[bksvol-discuss] Re: book? I sent ...

  • From: "Curtis Delzer" <curtis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 12:06:18 -0500

Sorry for the late reply. It is like the dance, and here is the synopsis
LOREN D. ESTLEMAN

"A pithy, punchy writer who can also deliver the action." The New York Times

Book Review

0-312-86360-8

)

$22.95 ($31.95 CAN)

Detroit of World War II- the anguish of war,

hot jazz, racial tension, and a fanatical killer

A tough town in a tough time- Detroit

during World War II was where the United

States' furious effort to out-manufacture

the Germans and Japanese occurred.

Industry imported workers to replace

men gone to war- Southern whites and

blacks working side by side for the

first time. Detroit had it all: rationing,

the black market, the Mafia, fortunes

to be made; a new kind of jazz for

seething summer nights- a powder keg.

Through this tense, troubled world

cuts a killer, a self-appointed solr

savaging ordinary people, the defenseless.

Lieutenant Zagreb's most important

job is to keep the city from

exploding, then to catch a mad killer

with a cop roster of 4-Fs and near-

retirees, and, finally, he has to save his

own soul. He cannot succeed at all

three.

Wartime Detroit is dazzlingly recreated

in Loren Estleman's latest tour

de force crime novel. Great auto manufacturers

labor mightily; blacks struggle

for an economic toehold; whites

strive for /-u»~~

loren d. estleman is the author of forty-one novels. He lives in Michigan.

"Writing with wit and carefully crafting a chilling suspense plot,

Estleman delivers another spine-tingling crime novel set in

Detroit.... Terrific, tough characters, snappy dialogue, crackling

action, and some imaginative applications of the third degree,

make this a triumph for Estleman."

- Publishers Weekly on Jitterbug (starred review)

"Jitterbug is an impressive historical thriller: gritty, rich in character

and detail, a compelling read from start to finish."

- Marcia Muller, author of The Legend of the Slain Solthers

"Hard-rubbed dialogue as bright as a new-minted penny.... Style to

burn, talk that haunts. Deserves blue ribbons and rosettes."

- Kirkus Reviews on Journey of the Dead

"Estleman's eye, ear, and hand^are in perfect sync."

- The Washington Post Book World

"Estleman could rewrite the Ann Arbor phone book and I'd

take a peek."

- Chicago Tribune

^

JACKET ART BY COLIN BACKHOUSE

A FORGE05 HARDCOVER

That is actually the "messiest" part of the scan. :)

Curtis Delzer