[bksvol-discuss] bolds, italics, ellipses

  • From: Charisma <wishfulfish@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 12:24:15 -0600

In the book I just scanned, from which I erroneously erased all
italics and bolds, the bolds were found in the glossary, for each new
word.

Ought I to have left those bolds? I thought anything that was in bold
indicated to the converter that that was a heading? Of course, in this
case, perhaps each new word in the glossary ought to be it's own
heading? I already had the beginning of the Glossary at font point 16.
I wonder now if I ought to have made each word in the glossary font
point 14, each word a subheading.

OK, and since I erased every last italic in this 255+ page book, ought
I to go back and replace them all? I will because I want the book to
be perfect but do I NEED to? (can you guess how I am hoping?  lol)

Finally, ellipses.  I have a question about your experiences. All
ellipses in these examples are three dots, not spaces between them. On
my Victor Reader Stream,
Set-up #1  If there is a word, then an ellipsis right up against it,
then a space, then the next word, it reads fine; I never know there is
an ellipsis there.
Set-up #2 If there is a word, then a space, then the ellipsis, then a
space, then the next word, I hear" dot dot dot".
Set-up #3 If there is a word and either a space or no space, then an
ellipsis then no space then the next word, if that next word has an
apostrophe it will not read properly. That is, if the ellipsis pushes
up against the word God's (like this ",,,God's"), my reader will read
that as "dot dot dot God s"

I cannot remember which book it was that was doing this so I can't
doublecheck it in Victor Reader Soft but I am pretty sure these
problems are the same in there.

My TextAloud does not care as far as #3 goes--it does not neglect apostrophes.

Also, hate hate hate four dot ellipses. Period OR ellipsis, author
people, not period AND ellipsis. I made an executive decision and made
half 4 dot and half 3 dot int eh 255+ page book I just did. Which
shall I fix?

Charisma