[bksvol-discuss] Re: blank blank blank blahs

  • From: Robin Mandell <robinmandell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:42:07 -0500

Check the fonts on these lines...I've noticed that a lot of times the chapter titles, or even the first lines of pages will be in an absolutely huge font which JAWS won't read unless I push it to...

At 07:32 PM 06/02/2006, you wrote:

   Dear Volunteers,

Yes, I know. No surprise. I have another computer question.

While attempting to independently validate away with RTF files using windows xp, Jaws, 6.1, and microsoft word, I have a problem which to me seems very arbitrary and slows down my validating so much.

It seems random that for some lines jaws says blank instead of reading the words. If I didn't have my very little vision in one eye, I'd think words were missing. I can't read the small print on my computer screen but can usually tell there is writing there so I know there are no blanks where jaws is saying blank.

I've tried some made up remedies in desperation. Sometimes these so called blank lines allow me to read them character by character. If I delete a word and type it back in again, the line magically allows itself to be read. This is a slow process and unreliable.

When all I get are blanks, I try inserting and then removing spaces, I know not where and sometimes the line becomes readable.

Sometimes, I note a word so I can find my place and shut down when nothing I try gets jaws to stop saying blank at me. I've even opened a file only to hear jaws say blank for all of it. sometimes alt tabbing around to other open programs helps but strangely, alt fouring the program, going back to the desktop and highlighting it and reopening it doesn't often work in which case a reboot is my only recourse.

Can anyone help with this? I've set myself some long, detailed validations, as well as some short, fun ones and this is such a counterproductive reoccurring problem.

With many thanks and

Always with love,

Lissi