[bksvol-discuss] Re: bksvol-discuss Digest V9 #51

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 22:00:15 -0500

Courtney, I think what she was saying was that she was copying that digest to Robin so that Robin could join in on the discussion. We have not yet received Robin's response.

On 2/21/2012 5:41 PM, Courtney Stover wrote:
Alissa,

I'm not seeing any message from Robin in any of this.  All it is is
your intro, and then a bunch of blank lines.  Then, the other messages
to which you are replying begin.  Can you please resend Robin's
message?
Courtney

On 2/21/12, Alisa Moore<alisam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hi all,

I'm introducing Robin Seaman into the discussion via this email, so that she
can provide you (and me!) with clarification regarding the status of our
relationship with Google (books) and the rules/laws that govern our
relationship with them.

Alisa

Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 10:13 PM
To: bksvol-discuss digest users
Subject: bksvol-discuss Digest V9 #51

bksvol-discuss Digest   Mon, 20 Feb 2012        Volume: 09  Issue: 051

In This Issue:
                 [bksvol-discuss] Re: Speaking of Google Books, and Alissa pl
                 [bksvol-discuss] Re: Sentences from books.
                 [bksvol-discuss] Re: Speaking of Google Books, and Alissa pl
                 [bksvol-discuss] Re: Speaking of Google Books, and Alissa pl
                 [bksvol-discuss] Re: Sentences from books.
                 [bksvol-discuss] Re: Speaking of Google Books, and Alissa pl
                 [bksvol-discuss] Watch Out for the Wrong PQ Book
                 [bksvol-discuss] Re: Watch Out for the Wrong PQ Book
                 [bksvol-discuss] Re: Watch Out for the Wrong PQ Book
                 [bksvol-discuss] Re: Watch Out for the Wrong PQ Book
                 [bksvol-discuss] Re: Watch Out for the Wrong PQ Book
                 [bksvol-discuss] Re: Watch Out for the Wrong PQ Book
                 [bksvol-discuss] Re: Watch Out for the Wrong PQ Book
                 [bksvol-discuss] duplicate books on bookshare

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 22:30:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Barbara B<scootergirlred@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Speaking of Google Books, and Alissa please
read

Can an individual get the google books and download them to the computers?

Barbara
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 23:33:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Cindy<popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Sentences from books.

Thanks
Cindy  (I'm returning to just Cindy (Rose was the first half of my last
name), since it was pointed out that the Fromn space indcaes Cindy Ray when
she writes, and just Cindy for me. smile. I'm used to being Cindy. smile

________________________________
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 00:14:58 -0800
read
From: Chela Robles<cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>

If thcy could it wouldn't be accessible for screen reader users.

On 2/19/12, Barbara B<scootergirlred@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
[...]

put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list
of

"To me, music that breaks your heart is the music that stays with you
forever. It's one thing to be melancholy and one thing to be sophisticated,
but when you get the two of them together in a way people can relate to,
then I think you're on to something. You want the sophistication to lie in
the purity of the sound, the beauty of the arrangements, and the quality of
the performances."-Trumpeter Chris Botti
--
Chela Robles
E-Mail/GoogleTalk/AIM/MySpace/LinkedIn: cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:17:50 -0500
From: Roger Loran Bailey<rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
read

You can download the ones that are out of copyright, but the most of
them you cannot. You will recall that when Google first started Google
books the publishers had a fit over it. Then an agreement was finally
worked out in which Google could distribute their books to certain
libraries for lending with some pretty stringent restrictions the
details of which I don't recall. As I understand the copyright exception
that Bookshare operates under, though, it should be just fine if Google
turned over all those files to be used at Bookshare just like any other
book is used at Bookshare and that would mean a fantastic growth of the
Bookshare collection in a very short time. Right now, though, the best
you can do in accessing Google books is to read snippets of text here
and there like we have been discussing insofar as we search for a small
bit of text in order to decipher an unclear word.
On 2/20/2012 1:30 AM, Barbara B wrote:
[...]

<http://us.mc1224.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get
     a list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the
     subject line.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:49:18 -0500
From: Roger Loran Bailey<rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>

But Cindy, why didn't you tell us that you were the mayor of Norman,
Oklahoma? This web site assures us that you were elected in 2007:
http://www.ci.norman.ok.us/content/mayor

     Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:38 PM
     To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

     <mailto:bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get
     a list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the
     subject line.

     -----
     No virus found in this message.
     02/19/12

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:44:50 -0800
read
From: Chela Robles<cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>

Right, well I hope that this will work, the suggestion you made to
bookshare staff.

From: "Evan Reese"<mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Watch Out for the Wrong PQ Book
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 18:56:24 -0500

Today I had an odd experience on Bookshare. I downloaded a book called This
Will Make You Smarter edited by John Brockman. I went to Amazon first to
read a bit about it before deciding to check Bookshare. It said there that
the book was published last Tuesday. So I went to Bookshare and found a PQ
copy of the book. I looked it up under the editor's name, and when I found
the title I looked no further. Interestingly, the date of addition was
December 12, 2011. I was impressed. It seemed that HarperCollins  was giving
Bookshare their books even before they were officially published. Well, that
turned out not to be quite the case. After downloading and unzipping the brf
copy of the book, I found that it' was only 22.1Kb in size. The table of
contents had only a couple of the essays in it, and only what was in the
table of contents was in that copy. So I went back up to Bookshare and
entered the title into Advanced search. It was then that I found two copies
of the book, the seve
  rely truncated one I had gotten originally, and the full edition, 545Kb in
size for the brf version, that was added on the same date it was officially
published, February 14.
I don't know how many other instances of this kind of thing there might be,
but I thought I should mention it here. Don't stop when you find the first
occurrence of a book title you're looking for, and if there is more than one
instance, get the one with the most recent date of addition.

Evan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 19:02:17 -0500
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Watch Out for the Wrong PQ Book
From: "Ixchel, Jackie (M.E)"<starsandhearts2@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Evan,
Thank you so much for that advice.
Jackie

On 2/20/12, Evan Reese<mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
[...]

Currently Reading: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 19:14:00 -0500
From: Ali Al-Hajamy<aalhajamy@xxxxxxxxx>

I see that on ocasion. I tried to download Les Misérables once, and
there was a book which claimed to be the newest translation by Julie
Rose. On unzipping it I found that it was in fact an adapted version
for children and published long before the translation in question
even came out.
Another instance occurs with The Brothers Karamazov. The summary
claims to be the translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa
Volokhonsky, but the copyright date is 1970, twenty years before the
P&V translation was released, and on opening the book it turned out to
be the Andrew R. MacAndrew translation, which I already had.
This doesn't happen enough for me to care, and the translations
Bookshare has are perfectly fine, readable ones, but yours is not the
first incident of this nature.

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:01:01 -0500
From: Roger Loran Bailey<rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>

I have been contemplating downloading that one myself. I am glad you
gave the warning before I did. This, by the way, is a definite case to
make a quality report about. Now and then I have seen other publisher
books that have been added to the collection that I have not downloaded
but that I find questionable as to whether they really should be in the
collection such as books of excerpts of other books that have been
apparently compiled just for promotional purposes. I would question why
anyone would download something like that when they could download the
whole books.

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:51:15 -0500
From: Roger Loran Bailey<rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>

If you mean the ones that look like advertising, I don't know. I only
know that when I came across them while browsing the newly added books I
thought about mentioning them here and of providing a link to make my
point. However, thinking about something too long can lead to inaction
and that is exactly what happened to me. I no longer remember the titles
in question and would not know how to find them in the collection again
now. I would have to come across them again and the collection is so
large now that it might be a while at the very least. I should have
reported them though. If anyone else does come across them then I would
urge you to do what I failed to do and report them.

From: "Sandi Ryan"<sjryan2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:29:58 -0600

Hi Roger,

Do you think these are books from the publishers that have been released as
eBook samples?  I know that on Amazon, there are Kindle books for $2 or $3
that are very abridged and designed to let you try a book before you spend
the whole amount on it.

I'll watch for these books, too.

Sandi

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 23:16:08 -0500
From: "E."<thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] duplicate books on bookshare

Hello Evan,
This is Elizabeth, who volunteered a as a proofreader/validator with
bookshare many moons ago.
You may remember that I have been barred from scanning and submitting
books or from volunteering to proofread books. However, I am still a
loyal borrower of bookshare books.
I also file quality reports with bookshare every time I run across a
title which is entered twice into the bookshare collection.
There are many many such duplicate titles. Please encourage others to
file similar quality reports.
I read your message on the Volunteer List about running across two
copies of a publisher-submitted book.
What I am running across seems to be that same sort of thing.
So, since I am not allowed to communicate on either bookshare list, I
do ask you to pass along this message, minus my email address or
name. Please just put the gist of what I say into a message asking
others to check for duplicates and submit quality reports when you
folks find them. Bookshare then sends out a note saying one of the
copies has been removed.
Thanks much.

Former Volunteer,
E.